Tuesday 26 January 2010

JFokus 2010 day One

This is the first time I visit the JFokus Java developer conference which takes place at the Filmstaden Sergel cinema in Stockholm. It is arranged by the Javaforum Java User Group (JUG).

The first day, the tutorial day, is over and for me it ment learning about the Kanban agile method presented by Henrik Kniberg from Crisp. Hat off for Henrik and his presentation skills. Having experienced Scrum first hand for a couple of years now, I know it is not easy to implement. Kanban brings principles that could aid where I have experienced problems implementing Scrum in the passed. Time will tell if I will get to experience Kanban first hand or not.

The other thing I learned today was Enterprise Integration Patterns (EIP) using Apache Camel and Spring Integration. Initially this spot would contain Bruce Snyder but since he could not make it Torbjörn Stavenek took his spot. So I guess I learned less about Apache Camel and more about Spring Integration than I would have if Bruce had been there.

Wading through a river of enterprise integration patterns is quite boring which I guess is why I heard snoring in the middle of the presentation. Maybe the presenter should have scheduled more breaks during the heavy portions of the presentation to fight off the sleepiness of the attenders. Once again, hat off for Henrik Kniberg who scheduled Pomodoro breaks during the whole Kanban presentation to fight sleepiness. Despite this I had some close calls.

The most interesting thing in the EIP presentation was not the demos Torbjörn showed us but the real world example that he had been involved in developing and the experiences he had from that.

Tomorrow is the conference day and it will be a full one.

No comments: